Saturday, June 30, 2007

Rain

It's still raining in Oklahoma.
I never thought I'd say that after 10 years of drought. I mean, this is the land of the dust bowl, right? But today we had our 18th straight day of rain. And we've been told to expect 7 more inches in our area through tomorrow, although that seems a little high since this afternoon, it's been quite sunny. Streets are flooded, creeks are overflowing their banks, and our backyard "lake" doesn't show any signs of receding. The local meteorologists say that maybe Tuesday it will be dry enough to mow our lawns. It's supposed to be a muggy 90 degrees (and feel like 100 with all the moisture around) on the 4th of July and then guess what? Rain again on Thursday! Believe it or not, this is more rain than we got in Ireland! And at least there, we had no thunder or lightning or tornadoes!!

My poor vegetable garden is so water- logged, I think many of my vegetables are literally dying for some sunlight. I'm pretty sure my carrots have dissolved into a soggy pulp, and I'm scared to look at my cucumbers which are lying directly on the ground. Oh well, my bell peppers are turning out wonderfully! Upon returning from Colorado, I had okra, beans, peppers, and tomatoes ready for the pickin'. I'm proud that I've done it all organically, too! I've already given some bell peppers and cherry tomatoes away, which is almost as fun as eating them myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment