Today is our Language Arts Day and Elyse and I were talking about authors using repetition in a story. We're "rowing" the book, When I Was Young in the Mountains, and the author begins with the title line 8 times. So, I asked her to think of a line that begins with "When I..." and she chose, "When I go to Grandpa's house...." So I asked her to dictate a story to me using repetition and this is what she came up with, which I think is just wonderful!
When I go to Grandpa's house
Grandpa gives me a lot of candy.
When I go to Grandpa's house
I pick a lot of eggs.
When I go to Grandpa's house
I hold the little chicks.
If they get out, I try to help get them back in their cage.
They are too fast and their feet scratch my hands.
When I go to Grandpa's house
I stay inside and help Grandma.
I help cook and clean up
and help keep the boys out when we're making cake and cookies.
When I go to Grandpa's house
Grandpa and I play basketball together.
If the ball bounces two times
we try to catch it before it bounces again.
When I go to Grandpa's house
Grandpa lets me have a spoonful of sugar
when we make a cup of tea.
When I go to Grandpa's house
it makes me so happy I want to shout!
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment