Monday, September 3, 2007

A Day in the Life of Gluten-Free Living

Being that it is Labor Day and all, I myself decided to labor. For my gluten-free baking, I use five different flour mixes depending on what I'm making. So, for sandwich bread and pizza crust, I use my "Soft White Bread Mix." For biscuits and sopapillas, I use a sorghum/corn flour mix. For pancakes, waffles and cookies I use my "Wonder Bread Mix." These three I was completely out of. (I also have a "brown rice flour mix" for certain recipes, and a "bread flour mix" containing millet and sorghum flours that I use for french, italian, and sub sandwich breads.) So, since measuring out the very fine flours that go into these mixes always makes for a mess, I decided to spend the afternoon and have a massive flour mix-making party to get them all done at one time.
As I was measuring and pouring, I started wondering about how much stuff I was actually using, so let me share with you a few statistics:
*10 empty bags of ingredients
*40 cups of ingredients
*9 different types of flour (white rice, brown rice, sweet rice, cornstarch, tapioca starch, potato starch, corn flour, sorghum flour, almond flour)

And here is what my kitchen looks like after the dirty deed.



And here is the beautiful finished product. Forty cups of flour that will last me maybe 1-2 months.



And Josh's labor for the day? Putting up the doors on our pantry cabinets! Don't they look great?!? (Aidan's checking out the washing machine hoses..."just looking, mom!" he told me...)

2 comments:

  1. I think that is great that you posted a pic of your canisters. I keep all of my gluten free flours in labeled canisters too! =)

    ReplyDelete