I wrote an email to another homeschooling friend today and I thought that parts of it would make a good blog post, especially since I've been MIA here on my blog lately!
I've been poring over homeschool catalogs this week. I'm excited about getting started on "real" work with Elyse next year, her first grade year. If we continue with the Well-Trained Mind classical method, she'll be starting in earnest on the historical period of 5000BC-400AD and most everything (reading, history, copywork, etc.) will revolve around that time period. So, lots of mummies, pyramids, and Old Testament stuff. But, of course, I have to look at EVERY curriculum catalog I have, get overwhelmed, find a bunch of stuff that looks cool but that we don't really need, and doubt our choice of curriculum about 30 times before finally settling on the very first thing that we had chosen.
One of the alternate curricula that I really like is My Father's World (MFW). It's attractive to me because it incorporates the classical method along with the Charlotte Mason (a "gentle" education) and international mission/biblical focus. I really like the setup and the fact that everything is already planned out for you, but I have a couple of concerns.
1. Elyse is doing a lot of 1st grade work this year and I think the first grade curriculum would be a little redundant for her. But I worry about starting her on the second grade curriculum (Adventures).
2. If I started her on Adventures, then I worry that for third grade, the next year of curriculum might be too advanced.
3. I wonder how it would work as she and the other kids got older. I've tried to go through the years and see how it would work out but I can't see how I could teach Elyse and Aidan with the same curriculum year (especially if she starts in Adventures where she probably needs to be, but Aidan would be using the target curriculum for his year, as he seems to be more on target for his age). Which means that I would be teaching two different years of curriculum for three more years.
4. I worry that as nice as it seems, I might get antsy with the pre-packaged type of curriculum, where I couldn't change things as we went along if needed, and since I like to pick and choose from different curricula.
Anyway, I'm sure I will stick with the Well-Trained Mind (classical) method that we're planning on, but once it comes time to choose curriculum in the spring for the next year, it seems that I'm not immune to the same doubts and concerns and second-guessing that many homeschoolers go through every year. After all, we all want what's best for our children, and there are so many great options out there!
As for the extra curricular activities, I think I'm going to splurge and order the Rosetta Stone French for Elyse (and Josh and I ;)). I don't expect her to be speaking French anytime soon :), but I have studied (and love) French, and Josh would like to study it some too, so we might incorporate that for fun.
I bought the "Drawing with Children" book for this year, but I failed miserably at ever getting anything going. I think it was daunting for me since there aren't specific "lessons" laid out. Throughout the year, we just did holiday crafts and other art projects as the impulse hit us. So for next year, I'm thinking about using something that is more structured and hopefully, that will help me to actually implement a regular art time.
And for music? Once again, due to a lack of purpose and structure, piano lessons never really got off the ground. I'm hoping to do better next year. I have the "Little Mozart" book, but am trying to decide if I need to do something else? There's an excellent piano teacher at our church that we might look into. OR I found a book called "The Violin Book." I have a violin and maybe Elyse and I could learn together??? I'm just beginning to think about the extra stuff.
As you can tell, I still have a LOT of questions, but that's why I start planning so early! :)
Any of you homeschoolers out there have any advice? I sure wish I lived closer to other homeschooling moms so that we could have an art day or something like that. There's a group in a town near us, but they don't do co-op classes. Elyse did get involved in a homeschool girl scout troop, which has been interesting, but not very active. She is still taking ballet, which she loves.
Lessons from this year? One thing I learned very quickly was that I initially planned too much. But I just kept whittling things down to where we're now only working 1 1/2-2 hours a day on the basics. She and Aidan like to play a lot too, which I think is super-important for their ages!!
Here is our current (semi) schedule:
M-F: Phonics (One lesson from Phonics Pathways)
Reading (alternate readers)
Singapore Math (One lesson a day and working on math facts)
Handwriting (A Reason for Handwriting)
M, W, F: Spelling (We began Spelling Workout A this semester)
T, Th: Explode the Code (Elyse LOVES this.)
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Elyse,
ReplyDeleteWe did the WTM first grade and I just want to put my 2¢ in, if you don't mind.
Spelling (any program) and First Language Lessons is not needed at all until later years. Focus on phonics, reading aloud, handwriting/copywork, narrations and math. If you do history, read picture books for read alouds if you do anything more than SOTW (if that's what you choose).
These are things I wish I would have done last year for first grade. I also wish I knew more about Charlotte Mason than I did.
I recommend reading Catherine Levison's books, Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education. Look around a little more at "real learning". Gentle does not mean "light". Gentle is more about the mothering/nurturing quality the philosophy provides.
My dd7 would be reading a lot better if I would have focused on phonics and reading fluency for a couple of years instead of adding spelling, grammar, and other non-essential subjects during such an important development time.
:) Jessica
Jessica,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comment and advice! Believe it or not, I was poring over your blog as you were commenting on mine! :) I, too, am going through a "shaking up" of sorts. Even after just one year (almost), I feel like things are so much clearer in some ways, yet with the upcoming transition into first grade, new issues have arisen. Maybe I need to revisit my husband's and my philosophy of education for our children again!
I do like the Charlotte Mason concepts and am currently reading "For the Children's Sake" which is very inspirational from a educational and parenting perspective. I also own "The Charlotte Mason Companion" and have picked it up from time to time. Maybe now is a good time for a thorough reading of it!
I saw that you have transitioned to TOG. I've looked at that as well, as I'd like to integrate more of a biblical foundation into the history. However, I'm concerned about the unit study aspect, as I'm not sure how well I'd follow through with that.
And for another coincidence (?), I made a note to myself today to check out Explorer's Bible Study! So I'm sure our paths will continue to cross. Thanks Jessica again, for your thoughts and feel free to continue spreading your advice! :)
Hi, Heather! I like your blog!
ReplyDeleteThat's great that you're looking at ways to make your family bilingual! French is such a great language. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, I hope they are into the idea of a francaphone household : ) .
I was going to mention, public libraries are often a great resource for foreign langauge material. You can't find many comprehensive foreign language programs, but you can find a lot of supplementary materials (movies, bilingual books, etc.) Even if your local library doesn't carry much, they can often order lots of materials.
I was homeschooled K-12, and often found the library to be a great resource when I was trying to decide on a langauge to study. I'm a big fan of French as well, and spent a semester studying over there.
Peter
www.adventurefrench.com
Heather, I haven't been able to look through much of your blog yet, but this entry really encouraged me... I'm finding myself in the same place, so I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you're learning. I read "For the Children's Sake" not long ago too, and it helped me get back to what I meant school to be in the beginning. Isn't it fun to learn again along with your children?! :)
ReplyDelete-Lindsay