Monday, August 12, 2013

2013-2014 Curriculum :)

It seems most school years, the only thing I have time for is to blog about our curriculum choices for the year. And I didn't even do that much last year. Oh well, it probably won't be any better this year, but at least I have a running record of our curriculum for each year. :)

This year, I'm doing something totally different. I'm trying a (somewhat) boxed curriculum--Heart of Dakota. It uses a lot of the resources and books that I was already going to use anyway, plus it schedules it for me all nice and neat. I'm hoping this will allow all of those little things that never get done, like art and map work (and science, ahem...) to actually be accomplished. I keep reading on the WTM forum that the best curriculum for you is the one that actually gets done, so here's to getting something done! Slainte! (That's Irish for Cheers! in case you were wondering. :))

 Elyse will officially be in 6th grade. Here's her list:
*HOD Resurrection to Reformation (covers the middle ages, earth science, geography, bible study, writing, and a Shakespeare study)
*Latin for the New Millennium
*Singapore's Discovering Mathematics 7 (w/ Life of Fred Decimals & Percents/Pre-Algebra w/ Physics and Hands-on Equations)
*Elementary Greek
*HOD Drawn into the Heart of Reading (using mostly our own book choices)

 Aidan and Aislinn will be combined in some subjects:
*HOD Bigger Hearts for His Glory
*Prima Latina
*HOD's DITHOR (using separate book choices)
*Logic of English

Aid and Ash will both be using Math Mammoth, but on their own level. Aidan will use Italic Cursive D, and Ash will use Cheerful Cursive, both of which are scheduled in HOD.

As far as extracurriculars, we will continue with the homeschool band program through Oklahoma Homeschool Bands. This will be Elyse's 4th year in flute, and Aidan's 2nd year in drums. Elyse is moving up to the Intermediate II level and Aidan will be in Intermediate I. Elyse has really improved on the flute and has been invited the last two years to the SNU Honor Band weekend. Aislinn (and momma) will start her 2nd year of violin, and Elyse will be starting the cello! How exciting! We will be having music-filled Wednesdays, as all of our lessons will be on the same day, which is nice since we're 20-30 minutes out of town. Aidan is in his 3rd year of gymnastics, and will be competing at Level 4 this year. That's so exciting for him and for us! He will be moving up to 6 hours of practice a week (not so exciting for us, but it is for him!).

Here's a tentative plan for our schedule this year. Elyse has asked for a tight schedule like this, so we'll see how it goes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment